Saturday, April 12, 2014

New paintings, new techniques



sketch from dream
-Stephanie Tihanyi
(all copyrights held by artist)
This is a some of the work I am currently doing. I have already begun to use what I have read, about the 'mische' technique of the old masters. I am very excited and looking forward to learning more about it when I go to the workshop, taught by Prof. Philip Rubinov Jacobson in Austria this year.
This painting came from a series of sketches I did that were inspired by a dream of an angel I had and wrote about earlier. The Angel is giving the spiritual water of life from the holy cup. The angel is a messenger and it carries a message across a great distance as  
detail of painting 'Cup of Abundance' by Stephanie Tihanyi
(all copyrights held by artist)
detail of painting 'Cup of Abundance' by Stephanie Tihanyi
(all copyrights held by artist)
  seen in the far off spinning galaxy in the above right-hand upper corner. There is a lot going on in this work subconsciously, that is far exceeds my conscious minds ability to explain. Its like I have to paint it first to understand it later. I glimpse pieces and bits but have not got the time to go into it right now. For me, realizing the image, is something that has to come first. The angel sits in a lush shady tropical lowland, with waterfalls behind and a landscape that sweeps upward into forests and snow-capped mountains that merge with the stars, nebulae, and constellations of a light filled heaven. Also present in the landscape is a small local hawk, the American Kestrel, known locally here in the Caribbean as 'gli-gli, a name that came from the Caribe Indians.
It means 'fearless one', a warriors symbol and a symbol of courage. In its claws it has a small iguana. This shows that all earthly life is also bound with the law of earthly death.The angel holds out the cup, full of the water of spiritual everlasting life, its beckoning light draws in moths from all corners of the darkness.
detail of painting 'Cup of Abundance'
 by Stephanie Tihanyi
(all copyrights held by artist)
 There's is much to add in this work yet so I will write again more in time as I go. I don't know why but I feel compelled to look into the myths Sir Gwain and the Green Knight and the Holy Grail stories to explain more. The work is still in progress and still in layers of various under painting and color-glazing and not the color of the intended final colors

Unfinished stages of my painting-
detail of painting 'Cup of Abundance' by Stephanie Tihanyi
(all copyrights held by artist)
 


:

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home